Monday, January 28, 2008

Almost Organic Apart From The Paperwork?

Now I am really angry!

I made a big mistake. Before heading off for Hanmer I had to drop some equipment off to a winery near Wanaka. I called into town for a coffee and picked up an old copy of the Wanaka Sun. Inside was a rather colourful (you should see his shirt!) interview, with photo, of the owner of Domaine Jaquiery - Mark Jaquiery.

Most of the article was fine apart from the following:

"The dryness also contains fungal diseases and reduces the amount of spraying. Jaquiery only sprays with sulphur and a sea weed by-product, both of which are 'natural' products.

I am not organic because the paper work is a nightmare, but I do see myself as environmentally sound."

OK, this was written for the Wanaka Sun and maybe this is not entirely accurate, but I beg your pardon Mr Jaquiery. Now I am not organic idol. My employer has zero interest in extra cost. We are not organic. But I doubt very much that we are less organic than Mr Jaquiery. What do you do for weed control Mark??????? Where is your Clemens or Braun?????

Goodness knows what the real organic producers, or those in expensive transition such as Mt. Edward and Felton Road think about this. There is no such thing as almost organic. SHAME Mr Jaquiery!