Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Food Miles

I have been angry about attempts to paint New Zealand wine in the UK as environmentally unfriendly because of the distance that the wine has to travel to get there. Frieght is such a small part of the picture, these arguments are grossly distorted. I have worked in Burgundy and Alsace and know that French wine is certainly no less carbon intensive than New Zealand, and I slao know that most of the sales to the UK travel by truck. I am sure using sea freight from New Zealand produces a lower carbon footprint than using a truck from Burgundy or further afield.

But are we doing enough to counter these silly arguments?

I was pleased to read a press release from Alpha Domus issued at lunchtime on this issue. I agree with every word. I particularly like the ending..

"Fortunately, it seems, overseas consumers are choosing quality wine over those with lower food miles too. Figures show the latest New Zealand wine exports to the UK have increased by 23 percent on the previous year. "

It is good that the UK consumer is smart enough to see through this narrow anti-trade argumentation from a few activists. My guess is that there are some producers in France and UK importers who a fanning the flames on this issue.